Collage

Collage

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

One week more... One more week... ONE WEEK MOOOOOOOREE!!!!!

To all of you who understood the Les Mis reference up there ^, props to you. 

My room is pretty much all Disney/ Les Mis junkies so we sing Les Mis at every chance we get. But anyways, IN 5 MORE DAYS I WILL BE IN HONDURAS!!! Seriously I am so excited. I probably have no idea what I am getting into, but I am sososososo pumped. Let the cockroaches and bird-eating spiders party on my face while I sleep, I don't even care as long as I am actually out in the field getting stuff done!

I am especially excited because I had my first real teaching experience yesterday! My companion has been having some health concerns so he has had to go to several appointments over the past few weeks. I was at first kind of grudgingly going with him and missing class and gym time and study time (because I have to--he is my companion) and then I like spiritually slapped myself upside the head and have been praying for and working on having that character of Christ that I talked about last week and loving him because I am sure he doesn't want to be going through this anymore than I do. It is incredible the amount of peace you get from putting others first and stopping always focusing on yourself. Bad cookie monster self! Anyways, so I was sitting in the waiting room while he was getting a CT scan and there was this super tough kinda greasy looking guy sitting a few seats down from me and I was sitting there trying to study and realized that here I was in the outside world (as outside world as Provo gets) and not even trying to fulfill my purpose as a missionary of inviting others to come unto Christ, so I turned to him and started asking him some questions and at first he was kind of reluctant to answer, but after I complimented his sweet Zen-wolf-howling-at-moon shirt, he started to open up and then literally just started telling me his entire life story. Soon I was just smiling and nodding and listening, really trying hard to just listen. As he was talking about all his problems and life experiences and stuff, I was praying that I could know what to say to help this son of God I was privileged to talk to come unto Christ. After talking to him for about an hour, and really trying to understand the needs of this great guy, I felt prompted to share a scripture with him in Alma, chapter 40 verse 23, about the resurrection, and about the hope that we can have because, while our earthly bodies are weak and subject to infirmities and weakness and diseases, through Christ we can be resurrected with perfect bodies and live with him forever. I didn't get to talk with him for very long after that because my companion finished his appointment, but I really hope that I was able to be a representative of Jesus Christ to Tim. Sometimes, I think that people just need someone to talk to, to confide in, and I was lucky to have that experience. I truly did feel just a glimpse of the love that God and Jesus Christ have for every, and I mean every, one of us here on earth.

Well, I officially have my travel plans, and am leaving the MTC at 2:30 AM on Monday morning to spend 12 hours flying to Honduras, my home for the next 2 years of my life. How humbling that is. I am definitely going to need all of your prayers back at home that I am able to understand what is going on that first week of complete and total Spanish, and that I won't be slowly eaten by a flock of cockroaches as I sleep. Is it flock of cockroaches? herd? school of roaches? I'm not sure, but I am going to need help regardless.

Quote of the week: The Lord has not asked us to hold the line in the battle for the souls of men, he has asked us to charge.

I know that I have been called by a living Prophet of God to serve as a representative of Jesus Christ. I know that I have been given the authority that I need to fulfill that calling, and that through personal righteousness I can gain the power that I need. I know that those whom the Lord calls, he qualifies. Without that power and authority, I could do nothing and would be little more than a salesman. But I know that my message is true and literally will change lives. It has changed mine. And so,
Hurrah for Israel! and onward to Honduras!

Adios,
Elder Moffitt

 My district with our powerful teacher, Brother Staples

 Fellow Trojan, Elder Dan Linderman (going to Albania)


My MTC companion, Elder Worthington

My awesome district


My sister,  Jessica arrived today to the MTC. She will be here for 9 weeks to learn Ukranian 
and then will be serving as a missionary in the Ukraine L'viv mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment