Collage

Collage

Monday, November 10, 2014

On the coast in Trujillo

Dear Family and Friends,

This week we went to Trujillo to do divisions with the missionaries there. Trujillo is a beautiful coast town about an hour from us in our new town of Tocoa. The missionaries in Trujillo have a house from which you can see the ocean! 



Super cool story: We went to go eat dinner with the branch president of Trujillo, a super nice smart black guy, and I was looking at the photos on his fridge, and recognized one of the converts I taught in La Ceiba when I started my mission! She had gotten married to the son of this branch president! I was super excited. They are going to get married in the Temple next June. I hope I can go with them! 

That Wednesday morning, as we were heading to leave Trujillo, a cruise ship showed up and all the tourists started streaming out to spend the day in Trujillo. As we were walking through town, I kept passing a ton of gringos and it was super weird because I felt really awkward talking to them in English. It is weird to talk to people in English now.... But anyways, we heard someone shout "Missionaries!" We turned to see a tourist mom from Utah running up to us. She said she just wanted us to know that they were praying for us and to thank us for our missionary service. It was super powerful to me. In the bus on the ride home, I was really overwhelmed by the implications of that tiny message of thanks and motivation -- to be reminded that this work is worldwide, and that we are all united in this work of salvation. Tears came to my eyes in that broken down Honduran bus as I felt the support of not only one Utah mom on a cruise, but also of 15 million members and of a loving Heavenly Father and Savior that will never forget me. I love 1 Nefi 21: 14-16:

14 But, behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me—but he will show that he hath not.
 15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
 16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.




This week, two of our investigators, Luis and Elvis were baptized. Luis is all tattooed on his arm but really has taken a dramatic change in his life. It was cool watching him leave behind a life full of a lot of errors and start a new life. The best investigators here are the youth. The youth are the future of this country, and they need more than anything the influence of the gospel. They will be future missionaries and mothers and fathers. They are looking for answers and have more faith than many others. Why do you think Jose Smith was only 14 years old when he saw the Father and the Son? The same reason. God loves the youth.

Baptism of Luis and Elvis

What else...? We had a lot of experiences this week that were super inspired by the spirit. I wish I could write them all but one day I will tell you all of them. I love my companion and I love all of you! I am already getting ready to have a great Christmas in the mission! 

Oh yeah, I saw a guy with a USC hat and tried to buy it off him but he wouldn't sell it to me for anything. At first I was kinda miffed but I guess he is a Trojan at heart too, so props for him. He knows quality when he sees it :) I have never seen any Stanford apparel over here.....

Two cool things about his picture: a Honduran that is taller than me, and his shirt.

Love you all!
Elder Moffitt

No comments:

Post a Comment