Collage

Collage

Monday, September 23, 2013

Whom He Calls He Qualifies -- and Putting on the Armor of God

Ho to the La!

Well well well what to write, what to write. It was a crazy week this week, and I know that I write that like every week but pretty much every week is crazy here in Honduras serving a mission.

Despite all our expectations, my companion, Elder Moreno, was changed to a different area this week, leaving me to welcome 3 new missionaries (my new companion and 2 more that are going to work here in the barrio of El Iman in La Ceiba) and introduce them to the area and the ward and the investigators and the members and yeah. It was a ton of responsibility and I was kinda nervous about how it was going to go down, especially because I would have to pretty much be a senior companion to 3 missionaries completely in Spanish for the rest of the week. But I want to testify that those whom God calls, He qualifies. I was able to speak a level of Spanish I have never been able to speak and, more importantly, understand people that I have never been able to understand well, like the Bishop. I know that God does not give us any challenge that we cannot overcome.

My new companion is Elder Sweat, which is super fitting because we do a lot of that here! He is a gringooooooooooooooo which means we can make inside gringo jokes that Latinos just don't get, like about how powerful Old Spice bodywash is. That and we get doubly targeted to be assaulted and robbed and are twice as likely not to understand what people say in Spanish. But we work really well together and I am super excited to work with him. We have a ward with a ton of promise and are ready to go to work!

I just asked Elder Sweat if we did anything cool or memorable this week and he hesitated and said, "Well, we bought a mop head."

And there you have it folks. We bought a mop head, and we taught the word of God to the dear citizens of La Ceiba, Honduras. Doesn´t get more awesome than that! We did a lot of contacting this week to find new investigators because we are dividing the area, which pretty much consists of just walking up to people on the street or in their houses and sharing a little bit about what we do and trying to get them to let you teach them. For a guy that didn't like Subway because he was afraid to go up and tell the worker what to put on his sandwich, that's a big step. But I really have come to develop the courage to share the gospel without fear because I really do know that it is true and that it will bless the lives of folks more than they could ever imagine; so when I think about that, I'm not afraid to go up to someone and just start talking to them. God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power.

In our missionary activity this week we talked about the armor of God in Ephesians 6 and helped the members and investigators make their own armor of God out of cardboard. It was super sweet! I learned that the loins also means like the area around your spine on your back. I thought the loins meant like your pelvis area. My entire life has been a lie.

Teaching the children to put on the Armor of God
I know that this is the work of God and I love it. I learn so much every day. As my mom has often said, if you want evidence that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of God on the earth today, just look at the fact that they have been sending out 19 yr olds as their primary representatives to preach the gospel, and the church still exists.

Thanks for all of your prayers and continue to Haz lo Justo!
Elder Moffitt
Haz lo Justo (Choose the Right)

No comments:

Post a Comment