Collage

Collage

Monday, August 11, 2014

Fishing with a harpoon gun: "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Pretty cool week. A lot of our awesome plans and goals fell through but hey, it's mission life!

Cool story of the week is we got a reference for a guy in a town we hadn't ever been to. We went to visit with him and started talking to him and he pretty much explained to us all about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Chris and how he felt it was true. He was totally on to how Satan, as the father of lies, is obviously going to attack all truth with a horde of some really obvious and other really subtle lies. They killed the Christ because they turned the people against Him by lying and bearing false witness. Why wouldn't they do the same against the true and living church of Jesus Christ on the earth today and against His prophets? 

So we went back a few days later for a second visit and our new friend was sitting outside of his house with his folleto and the book of Mormon waiting for us! He told us that several people had commented to him about our visit-- how the sinister "mormones" had visited him and told him all types of goofy stuff about the church and he asked them the following: 
"Have you ever gone to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?" 
"No."
"Have you ever let the missionaries into your house to share a message with you?" 
"No."
"Have you ever read the Book of Mormon and prayed about it?" 
"No" 
"Then why on earth are you pretending to know something about what they believe? Let me find out for myself if their church is the true church--and it would be wise for you to do the same!"

He is such a boss. Add to the fact that he is super buff--like his arm is the size of my waist. And he is a fisherman. I asked him how he fishes, like from a boat or from the shore?  And he said, "No, I go in." I was like "What? What do you mean?" And so he goes inside the house a bit, and then comes out with this old beat up scuba mask and a HARPOON GUN! Like a legit harpoon gun! So apparently he just takes a really deep breath, and then goes under the water and hides and waits for a big fish to come up and get curious and then he shoots it with his harpoon gun and wrestles it to the surface and kills it by biting the jugular with his teeth.

WHAT?!

Okay maybe he doesn't bite the jugular with his teeth (to be honest I didn't verify that detail so let's not cross it off the list just yet) but still isn't that the coolest thing ever? Pretty much we are teaching Captain Ahab. I promised him that after my mission I am coming back and he is going to teach me how to underwater harpoon fish. That harpoon gun may also come in handy ...  in trying to get a date when I get back ...

Even cooler, is that he understands completely our message about the restoration of the original church of Jesus Christ to the earth today and the importance of having a modern day prophet. He understands the importance and necessity of priesthood authority in the church and in ordinances like baptism, and he wants to be baptized in the church with his family. Such a cool guy. I mean, come on guys, HARPOON GUN FISHING!?!?!

So yeah, it was a cool week and we continue working on changing the world one person at a time. Our message is faith, repentance, baptism, receive the gift of the holy ghost, and endure to the end. So go to mormon.org to find and talk to the missionary nearest you!

Shout out to Matt Dickens who wrote me an email! First communication from my school friends since Christmas--and he even sent me a letter! I'd sure love some more letters-- at least let me know you are alive and your address so I can write you guys! 

But love you anyway!

Hurrah for Israel!

Elder Moffitt


Rony's awesome baptism!

P-day hike in the Honduran jungle with Elder Navas

No comments:

Post a Comment