Collage

Collage

Monday, April 21, 2014

Semana Santa and Happy Easter from my new home in Santa Rita!

OH MAN, I have way too much to write about and no time to write it. So I am SUPER PUMPED about this new area that I am in. I made it out of San Pedro Sula alive after 6 months and several close calls and now am in a small town called Santa Rita in the countryside of northern Honduras in the state of Yoro. The city is strewn about by sugercane fields, in which many of the residents work, whether planting, cutting, or manning the machinery of the sugercane. So pretty much I live in Candyland. Pretty much.

My new companion is a Guatemalan named Elder Lopez and he is super cool. Our house is super big and we live together with Elder Maldonado and Elder Brimley. Elder Brimley is also from Arizona and we were in the MTC (Mission Training Center in Provo, Utah) together -- so it's a good time. I am super excited about this area because there is a ton of potential for teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Everyone is so open and so friendly and the lifestlyle is a lot more calm and relaxed here. In the city everyone is always running around and busy and distracted, but péople here really have much more relax time, even though they work hard. I am pumped to find new people to teach and to build the Lord's kingdom here.

So Easter in Honduras is pretty much non-existent. The week is called Semana Santa, or holy week, and most everyone has the week or at least the weekend free of work. But the sad part is that no one understands why. Everyone thinks that Semana Santa is just to go and swim in the rivers or go to the beach and relax. Hardly anyone understands that we are celebrating the suffering, death, and victorious resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. Much of this week we spent teaching about the atonement of Christ and the magnitude and eternal importance of that weekend that changed the world forever.

So I'm not really tuned in to the whole video world over there in the States but there is an INCREDIBLE new video and page about the meaning of Easter over here at http://easter.mormon.org/

Everyone needs to WATCH IT because it is awesome and really powerful. Here it is:


Because of Him

I want you all to know that the reason I am here on the mission is because I know that my Savior lives and loves me and that he is literally at the head of this church. That is the motive for every drop of sweat I have dropped over here.

Hurrah for Israel!
Elder Moffitt


Moving into our "big house" with Elder Brimley

No comments:

Post a Comment