Collage

Collage

Monday, October 21, 2013

Waterfalls and the World Cup

Buenas!

So for Pday last week we went to the mountain behind La Ceiba as a zone to hike up and see a few AWESOME waterfalls. Needless to say, it was incredibly beautiful, very humid, super green, and there were even cool rotting Indiana Jones bridges to cross. I was pretty sketched out because the movie Predator was filmed in Honduras, so I was just waiting for Arnold to come storming out of the underbrush covered in mud or to just get jumped by a super advanced alien assassin.  











We went to Pico Bonito, the big mountain behind La Ceiba. We went with all the missionaries (sisters and elders) in our zone. It is always so cool to be all together. Everyone is so great and so powerful.







The hike. We were keeping our eyes out for Bird Eating spiders and Maya warriors
and Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Predator.




Not going to lie; walking over this bridge made me feel more than a little like Indiana Jones.
One of the steps even broke as I walked over it but I am lucky that I am spiderman
because I didn't fall to my death in the snakey undergrowth below.

I used to be afraid of bugs, and then came HONDURAS.





























Luckily, we survived the journey. Although we had to run the whole way back because we got attacked by a giant tribe of biting bees that chased us out of their bumble abode. 

haha. bumble abode. heh heh.

That was actually a typo but then I reread it and liked it a lot. 

Anyways, the work is progressing over here in El Iman. We just keep chugging along and teaching lessons. I don't really like writing the details about our investigadores, partially because I don't have the energy to write specifically about the people we are teaching and don't know how to describe their situations in just a few sentences and because I don't know which of them are hiding from government forces and don't want to be identified through my blog posts. And saying that about my investigators shrouds them with a curtain of intriguing mystery and intense secrecy so you should all really want to know about them now. Maybe I will let a few details slip throughout my letters back. Don't let the suspense kill you.

Well, Honduras qualified for the World Cup, so everyone of course went crazy and fired every bullet within reach into the air. I have always wondered what happens when you fire bullets into the air. When they fall back down you think they go fast enough to kill someone? Food for thought. 

At church we taught the Gospel Principles class for new converts and people that are getting to know the church and we showed the Restoration video. It was really powerful and several of our investigators afterwords told us that they felt the Spirit of God super strongly during the video. One young guy we are teaching said all the hairs on his arms stood straight up during it and that it answered all the questions he had from reading the pamphlet we gave him the day before. I know that there truly are answers out there if we have the desire and the faith to look for them or wait for them.
Our District: The awesome missionaries here in La Ceiba!!!!!

A place Elder Sweat and I found where we really want to baptize people in the river.
Doesn't that look super legit?

It is easy to get discouraged as a missionary, especially when we don't have many people to teach, so members, GIVE MISSIONARIES REFERENCES! Last week I wrote my Dad talking a little about the difficulties and challenges of life and especially life as a full-time missionary and he replied with the following wise words:

"Dear Son,

It could be worse.

You could be being hunted by an alien life form that comes to earth for sport hunting!

Think about it."

May we always recognize the blessings before the hardships we have in our lives. No matter how hard your problems may seem, no matter how strenuous the mountain before you may appear, always remember that you are not being hunted by a Predator in the jungles of Honduras. Well, probably not. If so, stop reading this letter and run!

Love you all,
Elder Moffitt


 

No comments:

Post a Comment